Archive for December, 2010

Handlebars mounted

Posted: December 30, 2010 in 1971 BSA Lightning 650

Got what should be one of my last orders in today. A bunch of screws and the shims to mount the handlebars. If all goes well, we can mount the throttle and choke this weekend and try to start it up! Here are some pics with the handlebars mounted.

It’s Alive!

Posted: December 27, 2010 in 1982 Yamaha Virago XV750J

Virago starts right up now.  The pilot jet was clogged, which was only part of the problem.  The spark plugs had fouled, and that prevented the engine from firing.  Once I pulled out the front cylinder plug, you could instantly see that it was covered in gas, as was the rear plug.

Luckily I had a spare set, so I gapped them accordingly, popped them in, and BAM, started right up.

Now I just need a day with clear roads to give the new forward controls a test ride!

Still on the lookout for a windscreen, hard bags, and that large 920 tank.  But for now, I am going to be concentrating on getting that BSA fired up!

Started to do the breakdown to check the pilot jet in my rear cylinder carb.  Got some pics up just to show some of the steps.  First seat and tank come off, all the boots/hoses and cables are detached.  Afterward I slid the carb over so I could drain the float on that side and remove the bowl.  From here I was able to remove the jet, and it was a bit clogged.  Ran a drill through it of the correct size to get the gunk out, and let it soak in some Seafoam to loosen up the rest of the junk before blowing it out with some air and reassembling again!  Tomorrow I shall test it out!

Seat removed

Tank removed

Carb detach 1

Carb detach 2

Float bowl

Pilot jet

Yamaha is in trouble.  Filled her with oil to try and test start.  At first it wouldnt fire, but eventually it did…on the front cylinder only unless revving to about 3k RPMs…and I was leaking oil from the right side engine cover because the gasket tore in two spots putting the screws through.
Luckily I had the extra gasket, but I had to pull off the entire case again, which meant I had to drain the oil again.  But now it seems like the leak is fine.
Bad news bears is, I have to take the carbs out again 😦

Forward Controls On

Posted: December 25, 2010 in 1982 Yamaha Virago XV750J

Yes, I spent my Christmas finishing up my Virago haha.  Got the correct gasket this time, put the engine covers back on after finishing up a bit of polishing, and got the forward controls attached finally as well.  Had to make some spacers to get the controls to fit exactly right, but it was no big deal! The bike looks and feels like a millions bucks.  Can’t wait till I get some oil in it and give it a test ride!



Tank with Logos!

Posted: December 24, 2010 in 1971 BSA Lightning 650

Our good friend Mike, who does all kind of  art and painting works, just send us a message with how the tank came out.

This is the first time anyone has seen it, and he did an amazing job!


Tank with logos

Finished up all the electrical work tonight.  All the lights work as they should and the plugs get spark.  I changed the toggle switch on top of the headlight to turn the headlight on and off, instead of the pilot light.  Even have it set up so the headlight indicator light goes on and off with it!

Also added an extra toggle switch that will turn the high-beam on and off.  Wound up removing the turn-signal indicator light, and threw the switch right in it’s place.  Pic below!

High-beam toggle switch

Looks like it belongs there! 🙂


Always double check the part numbers, children.  I went to go put my left engine cover back on, and the gasket I ordered was the wrong one.  Gotta pay another $30 for the correct one, plus wait for it to come in, so now I can’t attack my forward controls or test the rejetting of the carbs for at least another week.

Lesson learned 😦

Been a while since I did an update, so I am going to make one now!

Tested all of the electrics on the bike, and it would appear its all set. Spark plugs get spark, lights turn on, things seem to work.

This picture is of the break light switch. It was broken, so I used some plastic cement to hold it together, and now I am gluing a piece of copper (to be cut down) to reinforce.

The gas tank is with a painter to get the wording and logo on it, and should be back in a few days.

As it is now, right after Xmas, we should be doing the first startup attempt.  Here’s hoping!

Break light switch

Ordered huge lot of parts

Posted: December 16, 2010 in 1971 BSA Lightning 650

No picture update this time, but felt like I should at least make a normal update.  Wound up ordering a ton of parts a few days ago that will be needed really soon.  Grabbed all the handlebar mounting hardware, a battery, the light bulbs, the zener diode, kickstand spring and a few other etcs.

With all of this stuff, we should be doing our first attempts to kick the bike over within the next two weeks!  Lets hope its a success!