Archive for December, 2013

On bench and first start!

Posted: December 31, 2013 in 1974 Kawasaki Z1A

Sonny got one of the Z1s on the bench to see if the motor wold start up.  After some carb cleaning and points adjusting he gave it a shot, but there was no power going to the points.  It appears to be an issue with the wiring (this looks like a project that was never finished) so he ran power straight to the points and one kick later, it roared to life!

On bench 1 On bench 2 On bench 3 Carb rack Cleaned carbs

Advertisements

Rearsets and first ride!

Posted: December 22, 2013 in 1975 Yamaha RD350

Got the fast from the past rearsets in today and they were 110% worth it!  I also took the bike for a quick ride FINALLY after all the suspension upgrades, and it rode like a dream.  Roads were wet, so I didn’t go to crazy but the suspension, brakes, throttle, everything felt exactly right!!  Very happy with it!  Just gonna put a bunch of miles on the bike, then it comes back apart for paint!

Rearsets packaged Brake side rearset Shift side rearser

Sprocket has arrived!

Posted: December 9, 2013 in 1975 Yamaha RD350

The offset front sprocket came in!

Offset sprocket

Gauges wired and mounted

Posted: December 8, 2013 in 1975 Yamaha RD350

Got the gauge bracket we made bend with essentially some angle iron and a bearing press.  It worked out very nicely, and the gauges are now mounted and wired up!  I should be getting my offset sprocket within a few days, so next weekend is potentially a test ride day!

Gauges mounted top Gauges mounted side

Levers and gauge bracket

Posted: December 7, 2013 in 1975 Yamaha RD350

Got the bracket for the gauge cluster cut out, and now it just needs a bend to get it in place.  Also got a shot of the new levers that I put on so they are unbroken and actually match.  I took a pic of a quick comparison of a full lock left in the steering of this bike after the stops were put in, and my R6.  I also got a rear brake!

Replacement levers and cut bracket Full lock comparison

Took off the front wheel to add in the missing spacer and speedo drive.  While it was all apart, we also made some fork stops to prevent the forks from hitting the tank when in full lock left or right.

While it was easy to get to, we also had help form Wayne to make a template for a bracket that will be fabbed up for the gauge cluster!

Front wheel and fender off Measuring steering stops 2 Measuring steering stops 1 Gauge Bracket Template 2