Archive for January, 2016

Easier sump drain mod

Posted: January 31, 2016 in 1971 BSA Lightning 650
In order to make it easier to drain the oil out of the sump, Sonny created a spout to go on the sump cover. Now just one, easily accessible bolt VS four!

The rubber/plastic grommets for the trunk on Sonny’s Harley were worn pretty bad. Made the trunk just bounce around…Here we make that a thing of the past without having to buy a kit from HD.  At first, we tried to use a rubber grommet out friend Wayne had. It fit in nicely, but there was still a lot of movement.  Our friend Mike suggested we use some thick fuel line to go in there instead, as its a harder material and should not let the box bounce as much.  Check out some pics:

R5 Motor Apart!

Posted: January 17, 2016 in 1971 Yamaha R5

Took some time today to get the R5 motor the rest of the way apart and split the cases.  It doesn’t look terrible, but there are some things in need of replacement (like the crank bearings).  It should clean up nicely once it is done.

Motor teardown started

Posted: January 16, 2016 in 1971 Yamaha R5

With the 74 RD pretty much out of the way, we started taking the R5 motor apart to get it ready for its overhaul.  This bike is going to be more of a custom job, since it is in well beyond basket case condition, and should be a fun build!  One piston was stuck in the cylinder as well (and one totally missing) so we had to quickly unstick that as well.

Got the old points and condernser replaced, and the bike is running great (also had to adjust the needle position in the carb).  Pics of the points and condenser.

Sidecover Decal On

Posted: January 2, 2016 in 1974-1975 Yamaha RD350

The decal for the sidecover came in, so we threw it on.  Looks good!

Adjusted the front end and put on the drive chain.  Was then able to try a first ride.  Something isn’t quite right, so we will be looking at it again on the lift.  It seems to bog and run on one cylinder despite having fuel, spark and air.  The points are in question, and the battery is looking weak.  Going to try a new battery first (since we know we need one anyway) and see what happens from there!