Archive for the ‘1971 BSA Lightning 650’ Category

Easier sump drain mod

Posted: January 31, 2016 in 1971 BSA Lightning 650
In order to make it easier to drain the oil out of the sump, Sonny created a spout to go on the sump cover. Now just one, easily accessible bolt VS four!

The shifter was very loose on the splines, and ran a risk of stripping the splines. As a quick fix, we drilled a hole in the shifter, tapped it, then put a little indentation with a drill on the shaft and threw a set screw in. Fixed it right up!

Set Screw Shifter

Got some new turn signals to throw on the bike.  It didn’t have any when we purchased the bike and we always wanted to put some one.  These came from HotWingGlass (as did the seat) and are very good quality, especially for the price we paid.  The Lucas relay did not work, so we had an old automotive one we rigged up.  All signals are wired and working!
Also started getting the paint done on the seat, all by hand again.  It is quite finished yet, and the leather needs to be snapped on, but there are some shots below of what it will essentially look like when complete!

Turn Signals Rear 1 Turn Signals Rear 2 Turn signals rear 3 Turn signals front 1 Seat 1 Seat 2 Seat 3 (1)

New seat

Posted: July 5, 2013 in 1971 BSA Lightning 650

Got a new fiberglass seat (and some turn signals).  It was made for the frame, and even has a cutaway for the oil fill.  Its about 1000x more comfortable as the old one.
Plan to put a gel or sealed battery in the back for the lights, and keep the capacitor for a backup.  Just have to prime and paint to match, then mount.


Triumph tank on BSA?

Posted: August 9, 2012 in 1971 BSA Lightning 650

I really like the Triumph tanks that the similar OIF Triumphs had, and one was donated to us by Andy from the BIA. I think it has a real sharp look, and I think we can make it work!

Motor removed

Posted: July 8, 2012 in 1971 BSA Lightning 650

We are getting some work done to the motor, and it has been entirely removed from the frame!

Velocity Stacks

Posted: March 28, 2012 in 1971 BSA Lightning 650

Finally got a pair of velocity stacks on the BSA.  Took a while to find a place that had them, but Maciag Motorcycles came through!  Here are some pics:

Leaky sprocket seal

Posted: February 19, 2012 in 1971 BSA Lightning 650

Sprocket seal was leaking, so the clutch had to come apart to get to it for replacement.

Sonny was able to give starting the bike a chance with the mods so far.  This is a start with NO battery and with a capacitor instead.  One kick with no ignition to charge it, and one more and it was roaring!

Mocked up + Taillight

Posted: January 31, 2012 in 1971 BSA Lightning 650

More progress to report!  Got pretty much all the new parts on the bike now, including an inner fender we made from an old BSA fender that we cut.  Taillight was mounted up with a custom made bracket, and the petcocks have been put on the tank!